Study Abroad

Study Abroad FAQ

I was just accepted into the study abroad program. What are my next steps to receive financial aid?

If you have not done so already, be sure to complete a current academic year FAFSA at The UNT Dallas College of Law school code is 042421. In order to receive financial aid, you must also complete a Consortium Agreement for the appropriate term(s) you will be studying abroad. The Consortium Agreement can be found on the College of Law Office of Financial Aid website. You must be enrolled for a minimum of four (4) credits for the summer term, or a minimum of eight (8) credits for the fall or spring term, be maintaining Satisfactory Academic Progress(SAP) and must have the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs certify that the coursework at the host institution is applicable to your law degree.

Can my Cost of Attendance (COA) be adjusted if I am participating in a study abroad program?

Yes, students are allowed a COA adjustment for the study abroad program. Once the completed Consortium Agreement is received by the Financial Aid office, we will update your budget based on information provided by host school.

What type of financial aid will be used to cover study abroad costs?

The Office of Student Financial Aid does not have special grants or scholarships to award students who wish to study abroad. Students are allowed a maximum of $20,500 per academic year, in Federal Unsubsidized Direct Loans. Once those funds have been exhausted, students will need to seek Federal Graduate PLUS loans or private education loans (Sallie Mae, Discover, Navy Federal Credit Union, etc.) to cover the study abroad term. Keep in mind that due to federal regulation, financial aid funds may not be disbursed to a student’s account until ten days prior to the beginning date of the study abroad program. Generally, you will need to plan to pay for any expenses from your own resources.

What if I cancel my study abroad trip or the program is canceled?

In either of those unfortunate circumstances, any study abroad specific financial aid will need to be returned. Federal regulation stipulates that if the amount of aid disbursed to a student is greater than the amount the student earned (attending classes), unearned funds must be returned to the Department of Education. By not attending the program, you will not have earned the money you received.

Where can I find a list of ABA approved Summer Study Abroad programs?

A complete list of ABA approved summer study abroad programs can be found at: